The Awards program began in 1999 with the John K. Strickler Award, and has grown into a comprehensive awards program honoring individuals, organizations, and schools who are making an impact in the field. These awards are presented annually by KACEE to recognize those best exemplifying dedication, commitment, and influence in the field of conservation and environmental education (EE). Click here to view past award recipients.
John K. Strickler Award
Criteria: This award recognizes the lifetime achievements of an individual in the field of EE. The nominee must have a minimum of ten years’ involvement in the field of EE in general and if appropriate, involvement with KACEE, and have made and continues to make a significant contribution to EE in Kansas.
Criteria: This award recognizes the outstanding achievements of individuals, organizations, agencies, community efforts, schools, and businesses in the field of EE. The nominee must have a minimum of five years’ involvement in the field of EE, and have made and continues to make a significant contribution to EE in Kansas. Current KACEE membership is not required.
Nominations for the KACEE Award are in one of the following categories. While nominations in all categories are accepted, awards in all categories may not be given every year.
Rising Star Award
Recognizes individuals who are new to the EE field in Kansas, but are already making an impact. The nominee must have a minimum of two years’ and a maximum of seven years’ experience in the EE field in Kansas. Current KACEE membership is not required.
Kansas Green School of the Year Award
This award recognizes Kansas public and private schools that have demonstrated innovation, leadership, whole school involvement, and an integrated, holistic, sustainable approach to implementing environmental projects with a strong environmental education component into their schools. Individual schools nominated for this award must be members of the Kansas Green Schools Network (registration is free and can be attained at www.kansasgreenschools.org). Current KACEE membership is not required.
1. Review the award categories and criteria for each category.
2. Complete the online nominations form by January 10, 2014 at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2014EEAwards
3. For more information and to request or submit a nomination form, contact Laura Downey, KACEE, 2610 Claflin, Manhattan, KS 66502-2743; phone (785)532-3322; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. E-mail nominations will be accepted provided all information requested is included. Please do not fax nominations. Incomplete nominations will not be considered.
Every year, educators from across Kansas demonstrate leadership and excellence in providing quality, hands-on, science-based conservation and environmental education that teaches our children about the richness, diversity and importance of our Kansas natural resources. Please join us in recognizing those who make a difference for Kansas and our children. Your support of this event also helps insure that KACEE can continue to support these and other environmental educators in Kansas.
You can participate in a variety of ways:
1. Mark your calendar for Friday, April 4 6:30 - 10:00 pm at Sunset Zoo, 2333 Oak St., Manhattan, KS.
2. Click here to register online. Individual tickets are $40/each, and half of your ticket price is tax deductible.
3. Contact Jolene Amtower if you have questions about the event, or plan to donate an auction item.